Friday, June 12th, 2015 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
6 CEU Hours
Providence Health Systems
PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center – Mill Plain
Health Education Center off Mill Plain and 92nd Ave.
600 NE 92nd Ave., Vancouver, WA 98664
Registration is CLOSED for this training. If you would like to be placed on a waitlist, please email your interest to firstname.lastname@example.org and include in the email your full name, contact information, and agency affiliation. Thank you.
This training is considered a Core Training as it provides a thorough, but introductory presentation of the topic.
Goal of Training
This training begins with philosophical conversation about blending Motivational Interviewing and group practice, as suggested by Wagner and Ingersoll in the text Motivational Interviewing in Groups. We will discuss shaping group conversations in ways that meet the goals of 1) engaging the group, 2) exploring perspectives, 3) broadening perspectives, and 4) moving into action as well as how to gauge timing and movement through these four phases. Finally, the participants will be offered an opportunity to discuss what it might be like to design a motivational interviewing group based on the environments in which they work.
Participants of this training will
- learn the definition of motivational interviewing,
- understand characteristics and purpose of motivational interviewing groups,
- be able to identify the four phases of MI groups that correspond to the four phases of motivational interviewing, and
- develop ideas how motivational interviewing groups might be employed in their own environments.
- Janis Crawford, MA, LPC, ACS, is a master’s level licensed professional counselor and approved clinical supervisor who is currently writing her dissertation on motivational interviewing. Since 1998 she has worked in the field of addictions as a treatment provider, clinical and administrative supervisor, and program director. She became a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers (MINT) in 2007. She has since integrated motivational interviewing method and practice with correctional treatment for addiction and criminal thinking in the Wyoming Department of Corrections, and the detoxification and stabilization program at Providence Medical Center.